May 25, 2009

Tomato and Herb Pasta

The original recipe calls for pappardelle, but I have campanelle on the shelf in my psuedo pantry and in the interest of using what I have, mostly in hopes the sale of our home will move fast and I will have less to pack. The recipe also calls for heirloom tomatoes, but I don't think that they are out yet. The "normal" tomato works quite well.

I was pretty excited that I got to tap into my herb garden yet again with this recipe. I got to use the rosemary which tasted great in this dish. Fresh herbs really do make a difference with the tast.

12 ounces of pasta
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 cups thinly sliced shallots (about 2 large)
4 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 pounds tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup shaved pecorino cheese

  1. Cook past according to package directions.
  2. While pasta cooks, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots to pan; saute 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add oregano and next 5 inredients, (through tomatoes); cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Arrange 1 cup pasta onto each of six plates. Top each serving with about 1 and 1/3 cups of tomato mixture; drizzle 1 teaspoon remaining oil. Divide cheese evenly among servings.
Yield: 6 servings

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin