May 8, 2009

Spaghetti with Asparagus, Shiitake Mushrooms, and Lemon

I have been really bad at posting recipes. I'd like to blame this on the gym. I have been going after work and then getting home anywhere around 7 to 7:30. I will make dinner, but don't take pictures and don't feel like writing the post on the dinner because I am tired, hungry, and ready to veg out in front of the TV. I'll try to get better, but there are no promises.

Last night, after I talked myself into going to a spinning class (I was totally going to bail, but knew I would feel better after class. And I did feel better), I made a pasta dish that had some great flavors of spring. This was a great after work/after the gym recipe b/c it was relatively quick to make and didn't have exhaustive preparations. I did modify somethings in the recipe; I did not have spaghetti and used linguine instead, I forgot to get chives and therefore omitted those from the recipe, I didn't have a lemon so I didn't have fresh lemon juice, I didn't use olive oil and melt butter at the same time (I didn't use the oil at all), and didn't use a pound of shiitake mushrooms, I used 1/4 pound instead. Despite the omissions, the husband and I were quite pleased with the result.

12 ounces spaghetti
2 tablespoons olive oil (I chose not to use the olive oil)
4 tablespoons butter (divided)
1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
1 pound shiitake mushrooms
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 pound asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut crosswise in thirds
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
4 ounces shaved Asiago cheese

  1. Cook pasta in large pot of boiling water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Transfer pasta to large wide bowl.
  2. Meanwhile, melt two tablespoons butter with oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; saute 1 minute. Add shiitake mushrooms; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute shiitake mixture until soft, about 6 minutes. Add lemon juice, cook 1 minute. Add broth and lemon peel. Bring to boil, then reduce to medium and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 6 minutes. Add asparagus to mushroom mixture; simmer until asparagus turns bright green, about 2 minutes. Add chives and remaining 2 tablespoons butter and stir until butter melts. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
  3. Pour sauce over pasta and toss to coat.
  4. Top with cheese.

Makes 4-6 servings.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin