May 31, 2009

Sportello

Last night the husband and I went out to eat because we don't want to make our kitchen/home messy during meal preparation. The first open house is today (fingers crossed that someone comes in with a good offer). Anyhow, we have been hearing about how great Sportello is for both lunch and dinner so we decided to try it.

A few months ago when checking out Drink with some friends we walked upstairs and looked inside the door of Sportello. The manager who was getting things organized let us in to check it out (it had not yet opened for business). My first impression was that it was different in appearance from what I was expecting. The layout and design of the restaurant is very similar to a modern and posh lunch counter. It looked like it was very bright mainly due to the white counters and large white light fixtures. It was something that we wanted to try.

Fast forward several months later and the husband and I walked in again when it was open for business. It was a last minute decision to go out for dinner. Lucky for us we went early and no problem getting a seat at the counter. We were led to the head (I guess that is what you could call it) of the counter and had a terrific view of the kitchen. Normally in a restaurant sitting near the kitchen is a bad seat, however at Sportello the kitchen is in the dining room. It was really fun to watch the chefs prepare meals and watch how they plated things.

The service we had was excellent. Our waitress was very friendly, not overly pushy, and gave me a wine recommendation. I am not normally into roses, but I know if you have a good one (i.e. one that is not bright pink and a Berringer brand drank by the under aged and middle aged) they can be quite tasty. Our server said that if I didn't like it after trying a taste, it was no big deal and I could just have something else. I took her up on the offer and advice of selecting a wine. I am not familiar with the Italian wines and need advice when selecting one. I am better at choosing a California or Argentine wine.

For the first course, the husband and I shared the antipasti plate. It was a nice selection of cured meats (so much for not eating meat!) and a great parmigiano-reggiano cheese with some other great tasting toppings. I loved the chickpeas.

For the main course, I went with the scallops while the husband went with the branzini. Both were so great. The scallops were served in a bowl with a great broth filled with clams, rice beans, parsley, and chervil. Normally, I could pass on the parsley, but this was great!. The husband's piece of fish was also excellent. It was served with potatoes, lemons, and olives. He ate every last bit.

Because we were such good eaters and finished our dinners, dessert was an option. We both have a terrible sweet tooth and can never turn down something sweet after dinner. I selected the chocolate rice pudding. It was heavenly! This rich dessert had both dark and white chocolate. The husband went with the milk chocolate semi-freddo. Again, it was a great choice. It had a great combination of salty and sweet.

All in all, Sportello was a great experience. The food is wonderful. The environment is fun, as it is not a stuffy restaurant, and the service was great.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin