May 24, 2009

Black Bean and White Corn Salad


There is something about warm weather that makes me eat more fruits and vegetables. Maybe it is because there is a larger variety of fresh produce, maybe because it can be too hot to eat heavy meals, or maybe I eat better because summer clothes are much more revealing.

This salad is one of my favorites and I make it a few times each summer. It can be a stand alone entree or it can be a side salad. If used as a stand alone, grilled chicken is a nice addition. Last night, the husband and I had the salad as our main dish without an additional protein and it was quite filling.

The salad is so easy to make, although there is a lot of chopping. I omitted putting peppers in the salad as the husband can't really tolerate peppers, especially jalapeno peppers. Should you wish to add them, you only need a tablespoon of chopped jalapenos.

(1) 16 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 ears of corn, cut the kernels from the cob
1 cup diced plum tomatoes
1/3 cup diced avocado (I love avocado, so I used two)
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (Once again, I got to go to my small herb garden)
2 heads of romaine lettuce, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon water
1 minced garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon salt

  1. Combine beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado, scallions, cilantro, and lettuce in a large bowl.
  2. Sprinkle cumin in a small skillet over low heat, stirring until fragrant. Remove from heat, add lime juice, olive oil, water, garlic, and salt. Whisk to blend.
  3. Add dressing to bean mixture and toss.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin