May 24, 2009

Rhubarb and Raspberry Pie


I love pies, fruit based desserts, and tart treats. Therefore, I was so excited to try this recipe when I saw it in the latest issue of Cooking Light. It is the trifecta of the perfect dessert.

Honestly, I talk so much of the great recipes in Cooking Light, one would think that I get paid from the publication, sadly I don't. I just really love the recipes in that magazine. They are easy and not too bad for the eater.

I really had no reason to make the pie. I just really wanted to make it. The rhubarb season is relatively short, so I had to take advantage of it with this sweet treat. At least, that is one way to justify making a dessert.

I am getting more tolerant of making pie crust. It was never that I didn't like the way my crusts tasted, I just have no tolerance for rolling out the dough. Also, my pies don't look pretty. I suppose that practice makes perfect, but I don't want that much pastry in my house each week.

Please note, the original recipe calls for a pre-made pie crust. However, I didn't grow up eating pre-made pastry items. I grew up in an everything made from scratch type of house. I am quite snobby when it comes to the pre-made baked goods or baked goods not made from scratch.

Also, the recipe called for creme de cassis (black currant flavored liqueur). I didn't want to spend the extra $ for something that I only needed 2 tablespoons of. We are not a big liqueur type of house and the bottle would simply go to waste.

2 tablespoons uncooked quick-cooking tapioca
4.5 cups raspberries
3.5 cups chopped rhubarb (about 6 stalks)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons creme de cassis (optional)
1/8 teaspoon salt
pie crust (pre-made or your own)
cooking spray
6 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup sliced almonds
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1/8 teaspoon salt

  1. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
  2. Place tapioca in a spice or coffee grinder. Process until finely ground. Combine tapioca, raspberries, and next 5 ingredients (through 1/8 teaspoon salt). Let raspberry mixture stand for 10 minutes and then stir to combine.
  3. Roll pie dough into an 11 inch circle. Fit dough into a 9 inch pie plate coated with cooking spray, draping the excess dough over the edges. Spoon raspberry mixture and remaining liquid into dough. Fold edges under. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes.
  4. While pie bakes, place flour and remaining ingredients in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  5. Increase the oven temperature to 375F.
  6. Sprinkle topping over pie. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until topping is golden and filling is thick and bubbly. Cool completely on a wire rack.
I loved the pie. The husband said that he wished it was a little sweeter, but a friend (who does not have to say that she likes my food) had a piece and liked it. The only thing that I was frustrating is that the pie was filled with the delicious fruit mixture and some spilled over on the floor of the oven. Ugh, more cleaning!

Yield: 12 servings.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin