May 25, 2009

Strawberry and Basil Salad


When I first came across this salad, I was intrigued. How would a basil and strawberry combination work? The answer, it worked quite well. I can't exactly describe the combination, you will just have to try it yourself. I am still in salad mode and love that this had strawberries as they are tasting so great right now. The husband and I paired up this salad with one of our favorites, Oven Fried Chicken. It was also great that I got to use more basil from my herb garden. I have to say, planting herbs this year has already paid off. It is much more wallet friendly to grow things such as basil and cilantro than to purchase it each time at the grocery store.

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 cups torn romaine lettuce
2 cups sliced strawberries
1/2 cup thinly sliced Vidalia (or other sweet onion)
1/4 cup torn fresh basil

  1. Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add romaine lettuce, slice strawberries, sliced onion, and torn basil; toss gently to coat. Serve salad immediately.
Yield: 6 servings

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin