May 16, 2009

Poppy Seed Salad Dressing

This is a favorite salad dressing of mine and works very well with a baby spinach and strawberry salad. The salad can consist just of the greens and strawberries, or other things can be added in. Grilled chicken is great, as are cashews with some gorgonzola. Stinky cheeses are so great in salads.

The first time I had this great salad dressing was during my first visit to Long Beach Island, New Jersey. It was a lovely weekend stay with my friends Browning and Mullins. We stayed at Browning's mother's home (I believe I have mentioned her mom before in one of my first postings for onion dip). We'll call Browning's mom, Kitty for the sake of this post and all future postings. Kitty made this great salad dressing for us and Mullins and I had to have the recipe. It is just a great spring and summer time salad.

I made it a few weeks ago for a nice girl's dinner at my newly engaged friend Tammie's house. Our friend Lea, was up visiting from New Jersey to help Tammie with wedding stuff. After their long day of dress shopping, Michele and I drove to Plymouth for a fun night. Lea really liked the salad dressing and I told her I would e-mail her the recipe. I forgot! Lea, sorry for the delay.

1/2 cup sugar (though a little less can be used, the strawberries offer a nice sweetness to the salad)
1 small diced onion (make sure it is small, otherwise the dressing can be quite potent)
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon paprika.

Blend all the ingredients with a blender, until everything is liquefied.

Make the dressing one to two hours ahead of when it is needed and let it chill.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin