May 16, 2009

Banana Bread


Today has been quite the productive day! First, there are a few new blog posts. Second, the husband and I met with a realtor to discuss selling our condo in Southie (South Boston, MA). Third, I met my friend Michelle today for a nice walk. This is Michelle that I used to work with in NYC, not former roommate Michele (she spells her name with one "l"). Fourth, I made banana bread this morning and portobello mushroom burgers for dinner, and went grocery shopping. Finally, the husband and I checked out a town in the 'burbs that we are thinking of moving to. It has been quite an exciting and filling day.

Why did I chose to make banana bread on such a busy day? There are two reasons. One is that Michelle was coming here so we could take a walk and catch up (the bread made a great post-walk snack). The second reason is that we had so many bananas that were getting smushy and the husband was sick of eating bananas.

It was so nice to see Michelle and catch up. We have both left the world of media for much different and greener pastures. She is wrapping up her Master's degree from the school in which I earned my Bachelor's degree. She is such a great girl, always positive and with a great outlook on life. I really missed her! Michelle, it was so nice to see you and meet the boyfriend!

This is a great classic recipe from Better Homes & Gardens. I think it is the one that my mom uses, or at least it tastes just like it and gives me that comfort food feeling. It is also a really quick recipe, in terms of preparation, not so much with the baking.

1 3/4 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3)
1/3 cup butter
2 tablespoons milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup chopped nuts (totally optional, I opted to not have nuts)

  1. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
  2. In a large mixer bowl combine 1 cup of the flour, the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until blended, then on high speed for 2 minutes. Add in eggs and remaining flour, beat until blended. If using nuts, this is the time to stir them in.
  3. Pour batter into a greased 8x4x2 inch loaf pan. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean.
  4. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from the pan; cool thoroughly on a wire rack.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin