October 6, 2008

Brie Stuffed Chicken Breasts



Yesterday, I was looking for recipes for entrees in which apples were utilized. I saw that this recipe from the Family Circle All Time Favorite Recipes called for apples AND brie and I was sold. I haven't had brie in a while and I was sold. This seemed like a great fall recipe.

I was also anxious to try a recipe that called for stuffed chicken. Normally, I shy away from stuffed chicken breast of any sort as I have failed in previous attempts. However, I was eager to try my skills that I attained last week in the cooking class for Meredith's bachelorette party. In the cooking class, the chicken was already pounded for us. I did not pound the chicken as much as I should have and it did not roll the way it did last week. Another modification, was that I chose not to saute the chicken in butter and olive oil before baking the chicken. That is not a typo, we used butter AND olive oil last week. It was great, but a bit too unhealthy for my kitchen. I decided to forgo the saute portion and went straight into baking the chicken.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 apple, cored and chopped, leave the skin on (I used a Cortland apple, the recipe suggests Granny Smith)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup apple cider
4 ounces Brie, rind removed, cut into chunks
4 chicken breasts, pounded

  1. Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook until very tender, about 8 minutes. Add apple, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 cup cider; cook until apple is tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Stir in Brie.
  3. Spoon mixture into the chicken breast and roll up. Bake chicken on a jelly roll pan in the oven for 35 minutes. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
  4. Scrape the pan drippings into the skillet with the remaining apple cider, thyme, and salt. Cook over medium heat until the liquid mixture is reduced by half. Spoon over the chicken.
I wasn't too sure how this would turn out. I got rave reviews from Mike who gave me a "good, very good" critique. In addition, he said it was company worthy. So anyone who comes over for dinner may get this dish.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin