October 5, 2008

Apple Crumb Pie




More apples for everyone! Usually, I make a two crust apple pie, but change can be good. I have never made a crumb topped pie before. I have made crumb topped desserts before (see the apple crisp post). That said, this is not entirely new to me. I will confess that I was a bit lazy with the pie today and used a frozen pie crust. I was cringing as I wrote that, usually I am a 100% from scratch type of girl, but I did make three desserts today, made dinner, went grocery shopping, went for a run, and did three loads of laundry. I think I deserve some slack for taking the easy way out with the crust.

Crust
You can make your own. I believe that I have a recipe on here for another pie that I made and that would be sufficient for this. Although, that may have been a double crust pie. If it was, cut the recipe in half.

Filling
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
7-8 cups of thinly sliced and peeled apples

Topping
6 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter

  1. Preheat oven to 425F.
  2. Prepare whatever crust you decide to go with.
  3. To prepare the filling, combine the sugar, flour, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Sprinkle the mix over the apples.
  4. Pour the apple mixture into the crust.
  5. To prepare the topping, combine the flour and brown sugar into a medium bowl. Cut in 3 tablespoons butter until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle the topping over the apple mixture.
  6. Bake at 425F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F; bake an additional 40 minutes.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin