September 3, 2008

Baked Turkey Chimichangas


This is another one of my old favorites, it is quick, easy to make, and tasty. The recipe calls for refried beans and salsa. I can be pretty lazy and use the canned beans and jarred salsa for this dish. I do make my own salsa, however after working all day, I didn't feel like making my own salsa and making dinner. You can also put in a lot of different ingredients to switch up the dish. Quick confession, I never do, why mess with what works for me?

1 pound of ground turkey
2 cans of refried beans (I used fat free)
1 teaspoon of chili powder
3 tablespoons of green onions
1 cup salsa (fresh or your own recipe)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
8 burrito tortillas
cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 350F. Cook the turkey in a skillet, either coated with olive oil or cooking spray. Cook the turkey until thoroughly browned. Add in the refried beans. Stir the turkey and beans together. Next add in the chili powder, green onions, salsa, and cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted. Assembling the chimichangas in next. Take the skillet off the stove and put the mixture into each tortilla and place in a baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake the chimichangas in the oven for 20 minutes. Top them off with sour cream and salsa. Again, I love spicy food while Mike does not. The original recipe does call for peppers to be cooked with the turkey/bean mixture, but out of love for my husband, I omit this ingredient. Instead, I overcompensate for the peppers on my dish and top my chimichangas off with several slices of jalapeno.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin