November 14, 2008

Restaurant Review - Drink

Technically, Drink is not a restaurant, rather it is a cocktail bar. They do serve food and I did sample the canapes so I think I can share my review on the blog.

I have been looking forward to trying Barbara Lynch's new bar for quite some time. Mike and I were going to try it a few weeks ago to celebrate my birthday, but we were too tired to go out that evening. Our friend Chris suggested that we go there for drinks last night after I said no to the Atlantic Beer Garden as I thought it would be too crowded because of the Pats/Jets game and I was thrilled.

Mike and I got to Drink before Chris and Joanna got there and we managed to find a spot at the bar. Our bartender came over to us and I asked how they serve drinks since there is no cocktail menu. She asked what we were interested in and what kind of flavors we liked. I said that I like fruit drinks and was in the mood for something "fall like". She created a delicious drink with apple cider, brandy, bitters, and something else. The drink hit the nail on the head, it was exactly what I wanted.

Drink is really cool because there is no menu. They bartenders will make you a drink to suit the mood you are in at the time. A cocktail menu can be too limited. Another cool thing about Drink is that they grow and display the fresh herbs for drinks. They also used fresh squeezed juices and squeeze the fruits at the bar.

Oh, and the food....We sampled a few canapes. When I first read about Drink, I saw that deviled eggs were on the menu. That was a big selling point for me. However, they were not on the menu the night we went to Drink. We did try the prosciutto with Gruyere and honey, the scallops, and quince and manchengo cheese. They were all good, but were too small. Chris did get a little extra with his prosciutto, there was a bit of paper with the phyllo dough.

On our way out, we looked in the door for Barbara Lynch's new restaurant, Sportello. The manager happened to be there and let us stop in for a look. It looks good and at the present time is only open for lunch. They will be opening for dinner in December. The manager was extremely friendly and took my good natured ribbing about his (and other people) calling the neighborhood Fort Point instead of Southie. As Chris said later on, neighborhoods are renamed for real estate purposes (Fidelity renaming part of Southie, "The Seaport"). Does that mean that one day, Fort Point will creep back to my neighborhood? It may help when we need to sell...

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin