November 3, 2008

Butternut Squash Soup

This is one of my all time favorite foods of the fall. I usually have it on Thanksgiving when Aunt Ellen makes a batch for us to enjoy. I love the soup so much that I had to try it on my own. I think I made my first batch a few years ago and now make it at least once each fall and winter. My soup is no where near as good as Aunt Ellen's, but it is not bad if I do so say myself. I think that the trick is the curry powder. Curry is quickly becoming one of my favorite spices to add to savory dishes.

Because this can require a lot of simmering, I make this on the weekends. I would not have the patience to try this on a weekday after work. On Sunday, I was delighted to use my new blender that was purchased to replace one whose motor burned out. The soup tasted great and I took a gamble taking the soup to work for lunch. Here is hoping the microwave heats it up hot enough.

2 cups of chopped onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 large butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
3 1/2 cups of chicken broth
Salt and pepper to your liking

1. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until they are tender (about five minutes).
2. Add the curry powder and cook for 30 seconds.
3. Add broth and squash. Bring the mixture to a boil. After it comes to a boil, decrease the heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Once the squash is tender, bring the mixture to a blender in small batch and puree. Once the entire batch is pureed, bring it back to the stockpot and add salt and pepper.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin