November 3, 2008

Chicken Chili

I have never had chicken chili before and wanted to try it. When I recently replaced my slower cooker, the first only got one use and then the stoneware insert broke, I browsed through a cookbook for slow cookers and marked this recipe. There was some anxiety about leaving the slow cooker on all day when Mike and I left for work this morning, but it was nice to come home to a kitchen filled with the scent of dinner. Also a major plus, dinner was ready when we got home. It was nice to not have to prepare anything for dinner, with the exception of pouring a glass of water.

Now that I have been won over by the slow cooker, I will be sure to look for more recipes. Once again, it is so nice to come home to dinner. I think that I saw a recipe for pulled pork made in the slow cooker on Cooking with Jen. After my upcoming weekend in North Carolina, I will probably be in the mood for some pulled pork.

3 - 15 oz cans of cannellini beans, drained
2 cups of cooked chicken (I shredded it instead of chopping it)
1 medium onion, diced
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped (the original recipe called for 2 red peppers, but Mike hates peppers so I decided to use just one pepper. I like green peppers better than red, hence the substitution)
1 - 4 oz. can diced green chilies
3 1/2 cups of chicken broth
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried oregano
(The original recipe also called for 3 minced cloves of garlic. I forgot it when I made dinner, but it tasted fine without).

Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker. Mix thoroughly. Cover; cook on Low 10 hours.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin