November 21, 2008

Pumpkin Pie



One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving is pumpkin pie. It is one of those things that doesn't quite taste right at other times during the year. You can have turkey through out the year, but one can not really have this tasty pie during July without thinking of Thanksgiving. Hmmm, actually, maybe I should make pumpkin pie during the summer. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year. Perhaps I should make a turkey dinner at some other point during year.

Lucky for me, I get two Thanksgiving dinners each year. It doesn't even matter that I have them less than a week apart. The first Thanksgiving I have is always the Saturday prior to the real Thanksgiving. Actually, it used to be on the Sunday before Thanksgiving, but was moved a few years ago. This one is named "Wardwell Thanksgiving". It is named for the street that Mike lived on after school with his roommates Kate and Susan. Mike and I try to make it to the various Wardwells, but have not always been able to attend each one due to various reasons. The house on Wardwell saw it's last Thanksgiving a few years ago. Since then, dinner has been hosted in a few houses in Connecticut, one in New York, and tomorrow's will be in New Jersey. I think that 2009 marks the 9th or 10th Wardwell.

My contribution to dinner will be pumpkin pie. I just love pie....I found a few recipes for pie and decided to make a hybrid of them. I did make pie crust from scratch again. It isn't that I find my pie crust to taste bad, I always have difficulty with the transfer from rolling out the dough to placing it gently in the pie dish. On top of that, the crust never looks pretty. Maybe I should make more pies until I perfect this?

I posted a recipe that I use for a single crust pie.

This is the one for the pumpkin pie
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 large eggs
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 unbaked pie crust
  1. Preheat the oven to 425F.
  2. Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg in a small bowl. Stir in the pumpkin.
  3. In a large bowl, beat two eggs. Stir in pumpkin/sugar/spice mixture.
  4. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
  5. Pour into pie shell.
  6. Bake in oven at 425F for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350F, bake 40-50 minutes or until knife near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin