November 4, 2008

Macaroni and Cheese

I made another one of my favorites for dinner tonight. Tonight, I changed my recipe for this great comfort food. Perhaps my vote cast this morning at 8 inspired me to make a change to my recipe. Change is good.

Normally, I make mac and cheese with American cheese. In this case, I used Swiss and Fontina cheese. I was pleased with the substitution. I do wish that I put in some small pieces of ham. One restaurant that I had a lot of rep lunches had a great mac and cheese that I may have come close to replicating this evening. That mac and cheese was much creamier than mine. Skim milk does not make for a creamy mac and cheese.

2 cups elbow macaroni
1 small chopped onion
2 tbspn butter
2 tbspn flour
dash of pepper
2 1/2 cups milk
3-4 cups of cheese

  1. Cook the macaroni according to package directions. When done, drain and set aside.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  3. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook until tender.
  4. Stir in the flour and pepper. Slowly add and stir in the milk.
  5. Heat the mixture until it gets thick and bubbly.
  6. Add in the cheese and stir until melted. Stir in the macaroni.
  7. Pour into a shallow dish and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
I really enjoyed the change with Swiss and Fontina. It was a rash decision to throw these cheeses in my grocery cart on Sunday.

Apologies for the choppy post, I have been completely distracted today because of the election. It is a historic night no matter the outcome.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin