November 18, 2008

Refried Beans


Finally, I found a good recipe for refried beans! In the past, I usually would buy canned refried beans, heat them up, and then serve them. This summer I began a quest for a good recipe for this dish. My first attempt left me frustrated, the kitchen smelled great but the flavors did not make their way to the beans.

I found this recipe over the weekend when I was looking for new slow cooker recipes. I think that the slow cooker was the trick for this recipe. It allowed the flavors to meld together at a longer time versus my first try. After using the slow cooker, I once again realized the benefits of this kitchen appliance.

1 onion, coarsely chopped (the original recipe called for the onion to be halved, but the smaller pieces allow for the onions flavors to spread)
3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (the original recipe called for 1/2 pepper)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
5 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin (the recipe said this was optional, but I love cumin and used it)
9 cups water
  1. Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker. Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on High for 8 hours.
  2. Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin