August 30, 2008

Pasta with Fresh Herbs



This was not my favorite dinner that I made this week, but Mike seemed to like it. I think that a few mistakes were made, such as not all the herbs used were fresh. I did use fresh basil (and have very few leaves left on my basil plant as a result) and used fresh chives, thanks to the generosity of my neighbor, Amy. I am realizing that next summer I need to plant an herb garden with basil, cilantro, mint, and oregano.

Another mistake was the use of goat cheese as a topping for the pasta instead of using something more traditional like Parmesan. Mistakes made while cooking will be remedied and poor Mike will continue to be used as a guinea pig.

1 pound of penne
extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano (I used the dried version instead of fresh oregano)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 pints of cherry tomatoes (I may use grape tomatoes next time)
1 minced garlic clove
1 tablespoon fresh chives
1/2 teaspoon thyme (I used the dried version instead of fresh)
1/2 cup chicken broth

Cook the pasta according the package directions. After draining, place the cooked pasta in a large bowl and add olive oil, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and tomatoes, saute for 2 minutes. Add the chives and thyme, saute until the tomatoes are slightly charred and the skin is about to burst. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cook over high heat for 1 minute. Add the mixture to the pasta and toss to combine. Sprinkle with cheese (I used goat cheese which had too powerful a taste for this dish, next time I will use Parmesan).

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin