August 30, 2008

Chipolte Chili Chicken Soup


I made this for lunch because it was quick and easy. There is not a lot of prep work for it and doesn't use a ton of dishes, a plus for a lazy Saturday afternoon. I think it could use a little bit more salt, but I tend to consume too much salt. Tortilla chips add nice texture to the soup. Lately, I am into the whole grain tortilla chips because of no trans fat (I eat enough of it in other places). I would have liked to garnish with cilantro, but did not buy cilantro because this is the only dish I am making in the near future that calls for cilantro. I did garnish the soup with jalapeno slices. I love spicy foods and they certainly added the spice that I crave.

Canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons bottle minced garlic
1 package of chicken breast tenderloins (not bigger than 1 pound)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
14 ounces of chicken broth
1 (14.5 ounce) can of stewed tomatoes (leave undrained)

While heating oil in a large sauce pan, cut the chicken breast into bite size pieces. Add garlic and chicken to the saucepan and saute until the chicken is almost cooked. Add the chili powder and cumin, stir after the addition. Add water, salt, broth and tomatoes, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer five minutes.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin