August 24, 2008

Homemade Onion Dip

During a visit to Long Beach Island, our gracious hostess made homemade onion dip during our cocktail hour. The homemade stuff tastes much better than that from the box. Its a great treat to serve either during cocktail hour or as a snack at parties. I couldn't find the exact recipe that I had in New Jersey, but found and created something I liked just as much.

2 Tbsp olive oil
One large onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/4 tsp kosher salt
16 ounces sour cream (full fat, low fat, or no fat, it's your call. I used low fat.)
3/4 cup mayonnaise (light or regular, I used light mayo)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt

In a saute pan, heat the oil and then add the onions and salt. Cook the onions over medium-high heat until they are caramelized (about 20 minutes). Remove the onions from the pan and let them cool down. Combine the remaining ingredients, and then add the cooled onions. Refrigerate and then stir again before serving.

I would be cautious on adding extra onion as the dip can be quite potent with the onion and the garlic powder.

We served it with water crackers, but you can serve it with veggies, chips, pretzels, etc...

1 comment:

Jen H said...

I tried this over the weekend for a BBQ we had for my sister's birthday. It was a hit and even better later that night after we got home from dancing!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin