August 26, 2008

BBQ Rubbed Pork Chops and Cheese Grits



Perhaps my upcoming trip, in November, to see my favorite Southern Belles was an inspiration for two dinner items this week, Oven "Fried" Chicken and Buttermilk Biscuits, as well as items in this entry. This dinner features a side dish that I loved the first time I tried it at Virgil's BBQ in New York. I love grits and as a girl raised in Yankee territory (not the baseball team) I was not exposed to the deliciousness that is grits. Grits will be required eating while in North Carolina this Fall.

BBQ Rubbed Pork Chops
4 pork chops (I prefer the thin sliced chops that are not on the bone)
1 tbpsn brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1/8 tsp ground allspice

Combine the spice together and then rub the mixture over both sides of the pork. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. If you are not using a non-stick pan, coat it with cooking spray. Add the pork, cook each side for two minutes. Next, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 8 minutes, or until they are done.


Cheese Grits
2 cups milk (I use skim)
1 1/4 cups water
3/4 cup quick cooking grits
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I use mild, but sharp works too)
1-2 tbpsn butter
dash salt
dash pepper

Bring the liquids together in a boil over medium high heat. Slowly add the grits while stirring. Cover and reduce heat, let the grits simmer until they thicken (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and add the remaining ingredients. The grits are ready when the cheese has melted.

I am not including the recipe for the tomato and cucumber salad because I wasn't pleased with the results. When I refine this side dish, I will include it.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin