July 26, 2009

A Twist on an Old Favorite

Rice pudding was one of my favorite childhood desserts. My mom would make it upon occasion and it would be saved in a large red Tupperware container. When I visit, I am like Pavlov's dog and sometimes equate that large Tupperware bowl with rice pudding. Though, when I visit it is not filled with rice pudding. Mom, or should I refer to you as "the mother" or "the mom", can it be filled with some rice pudding upon my next visit to PA?

I wanted to try this Latin American twist on one of my childhood favorites. Perhaps, the Latin American twist is only in the name as I have never had rice pudding during my visits to any Latin American country and have no basis of comparison. I suppose that means I should visit another Latin American country soon, whether it be in the Caribbean, Central or South America. I do want to check out Tikal in Guatamala. Maybe I should check on the availability on rice pudding. Oh, darn...husband let's get those passports ready again....

I liked this dessert, but I don't think I would put in the lime zest again. I liked the flavor of the lime, but I was not so into how the zest looked when distributed in the pudding. I would be open to any suggestions on how to better incorporate the lime in this. Also, the husband did not think the pudding was sweet enough. However, I found the level of sweetness to be appropriate, but then again I am trying to watch my calories. If I were not so calories conscious, I'd probably crave a bit more sugar.

Arroz con Dulce (Cooking Light August 2007)
Printable Recipe
2 cups water
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (2 inch) cinnamon stick
1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
2 1/2 cups fat-free milk
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons grated lime rind
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil Stir in rice. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 10 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed, stirring occasionally. Discard cinnamon stick. Stir in fat-free milk, sugar, and rind; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 25 minutes or until mixture thickens and becomes creamy, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in golden raisins and vanilla.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size 2/3 cup)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin