July 12, 2009

Sassy Salsa Deviled Eggs


When I worked in New York, I worked with so many wonderful people. In particular, I worked with three great women who I am still great friends with today. Two of these ladies, are from the South and taught me and our other friend on finer points of being Southern. For example, I learned that pearls must be worn at all times, something that I practice upon occasion (one should always look nice even when working hard during spinning). I learned that bourbon is a perfect liquor to have with Coke when tailgating. I learned that when talking about someone in conversation, you should always say "Bless her heart". Finally, I learned the importance of the deviled egg. This fine treat is served at any and all proper Southern gatherings. A common shower gift at Southern bridal showers is to bestow a deviled egg tray upon the bride.

When I left NYC to move to Boston (further up in Yankee territory), my friends gave me a small recipe book filled with ideas for deviled eggs. This book goes beyond the traditional deviled egg and has ideas for sweet, spicy, and everything in between. The ladies also wrote such sweet messages inside the book. Each time I look at the cookbook, I smile when I think of the great times, conversations, and laughs that we shared.

Last night, I finally tried one of the recipes. The husband and I are moving in a few weeks and need to try to use up some items that we have in the refrigerator and pantry before we leave. One such item is the egg. With the help of our very sweet (and Southern) neighbor who lent me two eggs, I made this fine appetizer when we had the Fannon/Doherty's over for drinks.

This recipe was so easy to make and very spicy. As some readers may know, the husband does not do spicy and would not try the eggs. I love spicy stuff, so I thought the eggs were good.


Sassy Salsa Deviled Eggs
Printable Recipe
6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled, cut in half, and yolks mashed in a bowl
1/2 cup chunky hot salsa, drained
2 teaspoons Tabasco chipotle sauce
1 tablespoon, plus one teaspoon chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons sour cream
2 teaspoons chopped pickled jalapenos, drained
salt and pepper to taste
Coarsely crushed tortilla chips for garnish

  1. Combine the thoroughly mashed yolks with the salsa, Tabasco, onion, garlic powder, sour cream, and jalapenos. Taste, then season with salt and pepper. Note: I didn't think that the mix needed the additional salt and pepper, so I omitted it and it worked fine as the tortilla chips gave it some salt.
  2. Fill the whites evenly with the mixture, then refrigerate, covered tightly with plastic wrap until reader to serve.
  3. Just before serving, garnish each egg half with crushed tortilla chips.
Browning, Fancy, and Tancy, this dish made me think of you guys. I look forward to our fall weekend get-together. Miss you guys!!

p.s. When the husband I finally settle into the new and final digs, I am getting a deviled egg plate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keating, these eggs look great. And I bet you could add additional cilantro into the mixture too.

I will give these a try for the next family gathering.

And yes, every lady should own an egg plate - or two ;-)

- Fancy

Blog Widget by LinkWithin