July 12, 2009

Coconut Tapioca Pudding


As I have mentioned in a previous post, the husband and I are moving and therefore need to clean out some items in our pantry. We have a bunch of random things in boxes and bags. Some items were used once, while others were never used in the instance that I had plans to make something and then never followed through on it.

I can not recall what I bought the shredded coconut for, but it was never used. It seemed like an odd item for us to have as neither of us are huge coconut people. I love the smell of it, but the consistency gets me.

Regardless of my feelings on coconut, I was looked through an old issue of Martha Stewart Everyday Food and saw a recipe for this pudding. I thought it would be great to try as I had both tapioca to use (from the Raspberry Rhubarb Pie) and the coconut.

To my surprise, I really liked the dessert a lot. The recipe says that it is just four servings, but I think it could serve more than four.

1 large egg
1 can (13.5 oz) coconut milk
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup sweetened coconut
1/2 cup small pieces of fresh pineapple, OR 1 can (5.5 oz) pineapple chunks, drained

  1. In a medium saucepan, lightly beat egg. Add coconut milk, milk, sugar, and tapioca; whisk to combine. Set aside, at least 5 minutes, until tapioca is slightly softened.
  2. Stirring occasionally, bring mixture to a boil over medium heat; stir in vanilla. Transfer mixture to a bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Let cool until no longer hot, about 30 minutes. Refrigerate until cold, 2-3 hours (or up to 3 days).
  3. Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 350F. Spread coconut on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast, tossing once or twice, until golden, 10-15 minutes; let cool.
  4. Just before serving, whisk pudding to loosen. Divide among four serving glasses or dishes; top with pineapple and toasted coconut.
As I said, I am not the biggest coconut person, but the toasted coconut added a buttery sweetness to the dessert.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin