July 24, 2009

It Looks Like a Party


Really??! Do I really want to compare couscous to a party? Yes, for some reason this delicious ensemble of couscous and vegetables looked like a party to me. I really need to get out more, especially since I am posting this on a Friday night. Oh, how I enjoy my thirties. I expect it to get even better when we move to the suburbs.

Let's get back to the food. This side dish was snap to make and had a great combination of flavors and smells. The green onions and the vinegar dressing made this smell deliciously fragrant. The red peppers, tomatoes, and green onions looked beautiful when set against a backdrop of tan couscous and chickpeas. Pairing this with a piece of plain grilled chicken allowed the vinegar based dressing and vegetables to shine. This was so good, that I caught myself singing "yum, yum, yum" while cleaning up. Please refer to the first paragraph of this post, I need a life :)

Couscous-Garbanzo Salad (adapted form Cooking Light June 2007)
Printable Recipe
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup uncooked couscous
2 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
1 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 diced red pepper
1 (15.5 oz) can chickpeas, drained
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

  1. Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan, and gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Place couscous in a large bowl, and cool completely. Fluff with a fork. Stir in tomato, green onions, red pepper and chickpeas; toss well. Combine oil and the remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add vinegar mixture to couscous just before serving and toss gently.
Yield: about 5 servings, 3/4 cup per serving.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin