July 4, 2009

Asian Inspired Tuna Salad



I had a goal this weekend to try a bunch of new recipes and flavors. So far, I have been pretty happy with what has come out of my kitchen. I normally don't do a lot of Asian inspired dishes and was intrigued by this recipe. I changed a few things from the original recipe as I didn't have certain items in my cabinets. With our impending move (location TBD), I don't want to stock up on items in the pantry, rather I want to get rid of things. This allowed me to use some of the sesame oil and rice vinegar that I have had for quite some time.

The more I ate this dish, the more I liked it. The flavors were fresh and good for a summer day. The husband and I had this for lunch on the deck. I think we should eat on the deck every nice weather day we have since it has been so awful out recently.

Recipe adapted from Sunset
6 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon horseradish
12 ounces fresh tuna, sliced 1/2 inch thick
10 cups of bite size pieces rinsed and crisped iceberg lettuce (about one head)
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons ginger
1/2 thinly sliced green onions
1 cup thinly sliced radishes

  1. In a small bowl, stir together vinegar, soy sauce, and horseradish.
  2. Rinse and pat dry fish. Cut fish into 3 inch long strips.
  3. Mound lettuce equally on four dinner plates.
  4. In a 12 inch frying pan heat sesame oil over medium high heat. Add tuna and ginger and stir fry until just opaque but moist looking in center.
  5. Add tuna to bowl with dressing and toss to coat. Top lettuce with fish mixture. Top salad with green onions and radishes.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin