March 14, 2009

White Pizza with Artichokes and Chicken Sausage

I promised that I would look for good recipes that came from other places other than Cooking Light. Success was found! I consulted my Good Housekeeping Best One Dish Meals cookbook in the hopes that I could find something easy, as the "one dish" descriptor would indicate.

As this was made after coming home from the gym after work, I had help from the husband who is an excellent sous chef. He is the one that rolled out the pizza dough and did the chopping. What a great guy!

We were both very happy with the results of this dish. Initially, this recipe was selected because it called for marinated artichokes and the husband is a big fan of artichokes. I liked that it called for chicken sausage (again, the road to going vegetarian will be a long, long, long road). I also liked that the prep time was listed as only 15 minutes with 15 minutes of baking time. Please note that was the listed time, prep took about 25 minutes and we kept the pizza in the oven for 20 minutes to make it crispy.

1 jar (6 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts
8 ounces sweet sausage links, casings removed (the recipe called for turkey, I used chicken instead)
1 chopped medium onion
4 ounces sliced mushrooms
1 pound pizza dough (because I knew this would be an after-work/after-gym recipe I used store bought dough)
6 ounces shredded pizza cheese (I used a Sargento mix of pizza cheese. The original recipe called for Swiss or Jarlsberg)
Cornmeal for sprinkling

  1. Drain the artichoke hearts, reserving marinade; coarsely chop artichokes.
  2. Heat 2 tablespoons marinade from artichokes over medium -high heat. Add sausage meat and onion and cook until lightly browned; transfer to bowl. In the same skillet, heat 2 more tablespoons of the marinade; cook mushrooms until lightly browned. Stir mushrooms and artichokes into sausage mixture.
  3. Preheat oven to 425F. Sprinkle cornmeal on cookie sheet. Press dough into 15" by 10" rectangle. Sprinkle half of cheese over crust, top with sausage mixture, and then with remaining cheese. Bake on bottom rack rack in oven 15 minutes or until crust browns and cheese is bubbly.
Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin