March 7, 2009

Smoked Salmon and Pasta

It was another Friday during Lent. For non-Catholics, it means no meat until Easter on Fridays. For the first Friday, I went with sushi takeout. As much as I would love to have sushi take out each week during Lent, it just isn't practical especially in this uncertain economic times. Therefore, I have been looking for fish recipes for Fridays. The challenge is that the husband and I do our grocery shopping on Saturdays, fresh fish should be eaten on the day it is purchased. I am going to have to get a bit creative with my Lenten Fridays.

I found this one when I was perusing, a Cooking Light cookbook. I recognize that I am starting to sound like a broken record with these recipes. I will try to look through other sources, but I am not promising anything.

1/2 pound pasta (pappardelle was suggested, but use whatever you feel like)
1 teaspoon butter
2 cups chopped onion (I opted to thinly slice mine vs. chopping)
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup cream cheese, cubed (I ignored CL's 1/3 less fat cream cheese and went full fat)
1/2 cup chopped plum tomatoes
1 (10 ounce) package of frozen peas, thawed
1 (4 ounce) smoked salmon fillet cut into small pieces (I opted to use a package of lox)
salt and pepper to taste

  1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
  2. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, saute until tender. Add broth and cheese, stir until cheese melts; stirring frequently. Add tomato, peas, and salmon, cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Add salt and pepper.
  3. Combine pasta and salmon mixture in a large bowl, toss gently.
Yield: 4 servings.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin