March 7, 2009

Mediterranean Chicken Breast

It's another slow cooker recipe. I am liking going back to the gym and have easily fallen back in love with yoga and spinning classes. The downside is that I am not doing this in the morning anymore. I am going to the gym across the street from work and go after work. This gets me home from work anytime between 6:45 and 8:00 pm depending on whether or not I went at lunch. The upside is that my slow cooker has been getting a lot use.

I enjoyed all the flavors of this dish, while the husband said it was a bit too salty for his liking. To cut back on the salt aspect, I would suggest adding more lemon juice than what is suggested. I will recap the original recipe. Please make your own modifications if you want to cut back on the salt.

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 cup wild rice (I used plain old white rice)
10 cloves of garlic, smashed (I like to do this chef style)
1/2 cup oil-packed or sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 cup capers
2 cups water
1/2 cup lemon juice (fresh or bottled, whatever you have time for)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

  1. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken in slow cooker. Add rice, garlic, tomatoes, and capers; stir well.
  2. Mix water, lemon juice, and oil in small mixing bowl. Pour mixture over rice and chicken. Stir once to coat chicken. Cover; cook on Low 8 hours.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin