March 29, 2009

Pizza with Ground Chicken

Originally, the ground chicken was supposed to be used for chicken burgers. However, I had that sitting in my fridge as well as pizza dough that seemed to expand with each passing second. The pizza dough was supposed to be used for a grilled pizza with mozzarella and basil. Because both items had to be used, I improvised on the recipe. In fact, much of this recipe was improvised. I thought that we had enough tomatoes, however the husband used them all up while eating salads. No big deal. I went to our "pantry" (the term is used loosely since we don't have a real pantry, but merely some shelves in the mudroom) to grab canned diced tomatoes, oops out of luck again. The only thing we had was a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes. I was hungry so I just went with it. The result was delicious.

1 (28 oz) can of crush tomatoes, partially drained
1.5 cups of grated mozzarella cheese (I grated fresh mozzarella cheese that I froze 30 minutes prior)
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/2 cup thinly sliced basil
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 package of store bought pizza dough
cornmeal
1 pound ground chicken

  1. Preheat oven to 425F.
  2. Mix together first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl. Let tomato mixture stand 15 to 30 minutes at room temperature.
  3. Cook ground chicken in a skillet until thoroughly cooked; drain. Add to tomato mixture.
  4. Sprinkle cornmeal on cookie sheet and roll out pizza dough to the edges.
  5. Pour tomato mixture on dough and place in oven for 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin