March 7, 2009

Tex-Mex Calzones


I made this dish a few weeks ago and am finally getting around to posting. This is another semi-guilt free recipe from Cooking Light. I say semi-guilt free as I don't necessarily follow all the instructions from CL. I added extra cheese and used full fat sour cream to top of the calzones.

This is a relatively easy recipe to make. It does involve rolling out pizza dough, rolling out any sort of dough is not my favorite activity. Those close to me know that I lack patience. I get easily frustrated when the dough breaks apart and I have to start over. To relieve this stress, the husband was great sous chef and rolled out the dough for our dinner.

I was quite pleased with how this dish turned out. It was full of flavor from the peppers, spices, and salsa. It withstood the leftover test and tasted great at work the following day. I had so much fun with these calzones that I see a variety of calzones in the future.

8 ounces ground turkey breast
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground chili powder (I omitted this per the husband's request)
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 cup salsa verde (I used store bought)
1 (11 ounce) can of refrigerated pizza dough (I used a bag of pizza dough from my trusty Stop & Shop)
3/4 cup pre-shredded Mexican blend cheese (I probably used more)
1/4 cup sour cream (I didn't measure this out)

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 425F.
  2. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring to crumble. Add onion and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) to pan; cook 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring mixture occasionally. Remove turkey mixture from heat; stir in salsa.
  3. Unroll dough; divide into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 6x4 inch rectangle. working with one rectangle at a time, spoon about 1/2 cup turkey mixture on one side of dough. Top with cheese (to your liking, CL suggests 3 tablespoons of cheese); fold dough over turkey mixture, and press edges together with a fork to seal. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining dough and turkey mixture. Bake at 425 for 12 minutes or until browned. Serve with sour cream.
This is 4 servings.

Also, it is husband approved.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin