June 21, 2009

Tex-Mex and Bean Casserole

After vacation I took a look at my photos and decided to go on Weight Watchers immediately. It gives me structure and forces me to eat in normal portions. The only problem I have with WW is that I use so many more dishes as I now measure everything out that I cook. For example, in the past, I would just go by what looked like a half a cup of cheese. If this works, I will be so happy. Then the husband and I will need to take another vacation to celebrate!

This was a great easy and meat free dish. It was filling which can be hard with these small portion sizes. I love recipes where I can still eat cheese. I love cheese.

1 cup canned yellow corn, drained
15 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup cooked brown rice
3/4 cup shredded reduced fat Mexican-style cheese
3/4 cup fat free sour cream
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp scallions
2 tbsp reduced fate Mexican cheese

  1. Pre-heat oven to 350F. Coat a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, combine corn, beans, rice, 3/4 cup cheese, sour cream, chili powder, salt, and pepper; stir in scallions.
  3. Spoon mixture into baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese. Return to oven and bake until cheese melts and casserole is slightly bubbly, about 10 minutes more. Let stand for 5 minutes to firm up before slicing into 6 pieces.
Yield: 6 servings
4 Weight Watchers points

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin