June 29, 2009

Spinach and Ricotta Pizza


Until recently, I was not the largest fan of ricotta cheese. I would avoid recipes that called for this cheese, use it sparingly, or if it was in something that I was served, I would scrape it away from what ever it accompanied. However, I have had a change of heart. A few months ago, I made chicken breasts stuffed with ricotta and last week I made enchiladas with ricotta and loved each dish. Tonight's pizza was no different. The ricotta added a nice texture to the pizza. Perhaps the trick is to not use too much.

This was a great work night dinner since I made the dough and the sauce last night. Tonight, all I had to do was essentially gather the remaining ingredients. The biggest time component was taking the dough out of the refrigerator, bringing it to room temperature, and rolling out the dough. Lucky for me, the husband got home before I did and took the dough when he got home from work. Doubly lucky for me, he picked me up at the gym after yoga and I didn't have to take the bus home. How lucky am I?

Recipe from Cooking Light Magazine
1 portion pizza dough
cooking spray
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup pizza sauce
2 tablespoons fresh Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup part skim ricotta cheese
2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced

  1. Removed dough from refrigerator, let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
  2. Preheat oven to 500F.
  3. Coat a 12 inch pizza stone with cooking spray.
  4. Place dough on a lightly floured surface; roll into a 12-inch circle. Transfer dough to prepared pan, shaking off excess flour. Brush dough evenly with oil. Spread sauce evenly over dough, leaving a 1/4 inch border. Sprinkle with Parmesan, top evenly with spinach and garlic. Sprinkle mozzarella over spinach. Spoon teaspoonfuls of ricotta over mozzarella. Bake at 500F for 12-15 minutes or until mozzarella melts and crust browns. Let stand 5 minutes and top with tomato slices. Cut into 6 wedges.
Yield: 6 servings

1 comment:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin