February 16, 2009

Turkey Tacos

Last week was the start of a new gym routine. Because I don't want to wake up early to work out anymore, I chose to go after work. The only problem with going after work, is that I won't come home until 7ish, too late to start prepping and making dinner. That said, the slow cooker is once again my favorite kitchen appliance.

Like I said in an earlier post, I am playing with the idea of becoming a vegetarian. I mean to take very slow steps with the process and am still eating poultry and fish. This dinner is going to make it hard for me to give up poultry completely.

1 pound lean ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1/2 chunky salsa
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
Ground red pepper to taste
8 taco shells

  1. Brown turkey and onion in large skillet over medium heat, stirring to separate meat. Combine turkey mixture, tomato paste, salsa, cilantro, and salt in slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low 4 to 5 hours.
  2. Just before serving, melt butter in small saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour and salt; cook 1 minute. Carefully stir in milk. Cook and stir over low heat until thickened. Remove from heat. Combine sour cream and sprinkle of ground red pepper in small bowl. Stir into hot milk mixture. Return to heat; cook over low heat 1 minute, stirring constantly.
  3. To serve, spoon 1/4 cup turkey mixture into each taco shell. Spoon sour cream mixture over taco filling.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin