February 16, 2009

Black Bean Soup

This is another "after the gym" recipe thanks the slow cooker. I liked this soup, but think it tasted better reheated a day after it was made. I added a few things to the soup when serving such as sour cream, shredded cheese, and jalapeno slices. Because the husband is not the biggest fan of pepper, I omitted the peppers from the mixture.

1 pound dry black beans
2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4 inch dice
2 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch dice
1 onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce chopped (I have no idea how the recipe tastes with the pepper as I removed this ingredient from the mixture)
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1 can (4 ounces) chopped mild green chilies, drained (Again, I omitted this for the husband)
6 cups of chicken or vegetable stock or broth
2 teaspoons cumin

  1. Rinse and sort beans and place in a large bowl; cover completely with water. Soak 6 to 8 hours or overnight. Drain beans; discard water.
  2. Place beans in slow cooker. Add celery, carrots, and onion.
  3. Combine peppers, tomatoes, stock, and cumin in medium bowl. Add to slow cooker. Cover; cook on low 7 to 8 hours or on High 4.5 to 5 hours, or until beans are tender. (I cooked it on low since I was going to be out of the house for at least that time). Season with salt and pepper.
  4. I chose to use a blender to make the soup less chunky.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin