December 3, 2008

Slow Cooker Three Bean Turkey Chili

The slow cooker is my new favorite kitchen appliance. It's great coming home from work and having dinner already made. It was especially nice to have a low preparation dinner after last night's time intensive soup making. I do wish that I prepped for the chili the night before, as it requires cooked ground turkey and onions.

1 pound ground turkey
1 small chopped onion
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, un-drained
1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1-2 tablespoons chili powder

NOTE: The original recipe calls for 1 can (4 ounces) of diced mild green chilies. Because Mike hate spicy foods, I omitted the peppers. Sometimes, I do include the peppers to his dismay. But, this is the holiday season and it was the least I could do.

  1. Cook and stir turkey and onion in a medium skillet over medium high heat until turkey is no longer pink. Drain and discard the fat. Add to slow cooker.
  2. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Cover; cook on HIGH 6 to 8 hours.
I think that I should have cooked the chili for 6 hours instead of 8. The chili was a little dry.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

keating, your not going to believe this but i just came to your blog to see if you have slowcooker recipes because i had thought i saw one a little while ago. and behold, it is the first post. i will make chili and i will make it with the chiles since we go hot and hotter here in the burbs.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin