December 9, 2008

Maple and Balsamic Pork

This recipe is quite similar to the Maple Balsamic Pork tenderloin that I posted before. The major difference is that this one is an indoor recipe, you don't need to grill. It was perfect for yesterday. It was so cold out! I am not prepared for winter. During my walk to work yesterday, I was freezing. However, I digress. Back to the food. This was a quick dinner to prepare. It took somewhere between 20-30 minutes for preparation and cooking. Mike likes the recipes that don't take long. He gets grumpy when he has to wait to eat.

The maple syrup and balsamic vinegar mix well together in this recipe. I would caution people to be light on the syrup. I would use the amount in the recipe or a a tad less. Any more syrup and the pork would be too sweet (and this is coming from someone with a major sweet tooth). I chose to serve this with sauteed spinach on the side. I am trying to be better about eating enough fruit and vegetables each day. I guess I am getting a head start on New Year's resolutions.

1/4 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 pound pork tenderloin
olive oil (about 2 teaspoons)
salt and pepper to your liking

  1. Combine the syrup and vinegar in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 3 minutes). Stir occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in mustard.
  2. Cut pork crosswise into 8 pieces. Place in between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet until 1/4 thickness.
  3. Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Add to pan, cook three minutes on each side. Add vinegar mixture; cook 1 minute or until pork is done.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin