December 9, 2008

Risotto with Porcini Mushrooms and Mascarpone


This is another one from Cooking Light. I didn't play around with this recipe. I guess the way I could play around with it would be by changing the add-ins. Maybe one day I will try my own risotto. I just became a fan of Top Chef on Bravo and may be inspired to just whip up my own creations one day.

Unlike last night's dinner, this one took a long time. But then again, risotto is worth the wait. At least I knew going into dinner prep that it takes a while to make risotto. The worst part about trying a new recipe is not really reading it the whole way through and finding out that it takes a long time to be finished. I have done that countless times.

This was the first time that I made this type of risotto. I think the ones that I have made in the past have had meat. Mike gave this one rave reviews. As soon as he put the fork into his mouth, he gave me his approval. Whenever Mike is enthusiastic about the food that I make, I feel satisfied.

1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
14 ounces beef broth
1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
3/4 cup chopped shallots
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup Mascarpone cheese
1 teaspoon thyme
salt and pepper to your liking

  1. Combine boiling water and mushrooms; let stand 10 minutes or until soft. Drain in colander over a bowl. Reserve 1 1/4 cups soaking liquid; chop mushrooms.
  2. Bring liquid and broth to a simmer in a small saucepan (do not boil). Keep broth mixture warm over low heat.
  3. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. If not using a non-stick pan, coat with cooking spray. Add rice, shallots, and garlic; saute 5 minutes. Add wine; cook until liquid evaporates (about 2 minutes).
  4. Add 1 cup broth mixture to rice mixture; cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed; stirring occasionally. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time; stirring occasionally until each portion of broth mixture is absorbed before adding next. The process takes about 30 minutes. Add mushrooms, cheeses, thyme, salt, and pepper; stir until cheese melts.
Yield 4 servings

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin