June 2, 2010

I am obsessed with chicken salad

First, forgive me for my absence.  I took some time off from blogging about recipes for a bit, but am back now.  However, I will probably be a little lazy about posting pictures with the recipes as I am not a skilled food photographer.  Also, most of the recipes I will be posting will be easy and quick ones.  The commute to the suburbs can be brutal.  It does not leave a lot of time for cooking.  It seems by the time I get home, make dinner, and clean up, I only have an hour or so before I need to turn in for the night.  But, I really do enjoy the peace and quiet of the suburbs.  I will also be enjoying the easy access to the beach if I ever have a day free to enjoy it. 

Back to the poultry,  I really love a good chicken salad sandwich.  The are good with toasted and untoasted bread.  They are easy to make and there are so many variations and fun ways to play around with this classic.  Last night's chicken salad was an adapted Cooking Light recipe.  I made a few substitutions, using cashews instead of almonds (I had a massive amount of cashews from a stir fry I made a few weeks ago), cutting out carrots, and skipping the lettuce and pitas. 

When putting together the ingredients for this sandwich, I was questioning if they would work well together.  After all, pineapple and Worcestshire sauce doesn't sound too appealing when mixed together.  However it worked!  Of course it did.  If it was awful, I would not be posting such a recipe after a long absence. 

Pineapple Chicken Salad
(adapted from Cooking Light May 2007)
Printable Recipe

2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (about 1 pound)
1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1/3 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
Combine first 11 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring well.   Place on bread, toasted or untoasted. 

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin