January 28, 2010

Even the Husband Could Make This One

Nothing beats a dinner that takes almost no time to prepare, especially after a long work day.  My work days are long due to my early a.m. wake up time for the gym and then the commute home.  It can be rough to leave the house for 13 hour stretches and it makes for a tired little cook. 

The long days force me to look for recipes that do not take too much preparation or cooking time. I am getting lazy these days.  So lazy in fact, that when a recipe calls for marinara sauce, I used the jarred stuff instead of making my own.  Or, when a recipe calles for cooked chicken, I will use the handy Purdue Shortcuts.  These days I will use any shortcut that I can.  These long days also make a lazy blogger, hence a lack of pictures.  Sorry, I will try to be better.

The recipe that I made last night was insanely easy to make, calls for minimal ingredients, and requires very little prep and cooking time.  Win, win, win!  The husband did not like it when I commented that the recipe was so easy, even he could make it, so I made that the title of the post.  Love you honey!

Cannellini-Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
(adapted from Cooking Light January 2007)
Printable Recipe

4 (4-inch) portobello caps
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
3/4 cup bottled pasta sauce
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup (2 ounces) preshredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

  1. Preheat broiler.
  2. Remove gills from the undersides of mushrooms using a spoon; discard gills. Place caps, smooth side up, on baking sheet coated with cooking spray; broil 2 minutes. Turn caps over; broil 2 minutes.
  3. Combine ricotta, salt, garlic powder, and rosemary, stirring well. Spread 2 tablespoons cheese mixture in each cap. Spoon 3 tablespoons pasta sauce over cheese mixture in each serving. Divide beans evenly among caps; sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons mozzarella. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese melts.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin