September 1, 2009

Grab It and Go

We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  Eating this meal gets you off to a great start and gives you energy to get you to lunchtime and deal with all of those e-mails and phone calls.  However, there are some of us who try to maximize our sleep time in the morning and do not have time to eat breakfast at home.  The sleep lovers among us eat something at work. 

Sometimes there is no problem and we bring breakfast from home, other times we pick up something when we grab the morning coffee or tea.  That is where the problem is.  We are spending some extra cash on breakfast and likely picking up something that is not very good for us.  One of my favorite temptations is the glazed stick from Dunkin' Donuts, or their blueberry muffin, or their coffee cake muffin, really it is any sort of baked good.  I do love my Dunkin.

When berries are fresh and in season, I love to have a breakfast of strawberries and blueberries topped with Greek vanilla yogurt.  It is so refreshing and filling.  I love having something that is good for me first thing in the morning.  Now that summer is dying down, I won't be eating berries and yogurt each day but I still need something portable for breakfast, forget waking up early to eat.  Enter the savory breakfast muffin.  I came across this recipe when I was looking through the Eating Well website and knew that this would be a great breakfast.  The bonus is that you can make and freeze the muffins for up to one month. 

Savory Breakfast Muffins (from Eating Well)
Printable Recipe
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup thinly sliced scallions
3/4 cup diced Canadian bacon
1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup finely diced red pepper

  1. Pre-heat oven to 400F.   Place muffin cups in pan.  
  2. Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, pepper and salt in a large bowl. 
  3. Whisk eggs, buttermilk, oil, and butter in a medium bowl.  Fold in scallions, bacon, cheese, and red pepper.  Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.  Add the wet ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until just moistened.  Scoop the batter into the muffin pan.  The cups will be very full.
  4. Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown, 20-22 minutes.  Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.  Loosen the edges and turn the muffins onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.  
Yield: 12 servings


For the record, in addition to bringing in my breakfast (and lunch) from home, I am also bringing in my morning iced coffee.  Not only is this saving some cash, but I am thinking it is good for the environment as I am not throwing away a plastic container each day.  Who knew I was so green?

1 comment:

Samantha said...

you go green, girl! hehe. i like the idea of this muffin. very interesting. i'll have to try it out sometime.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin