September 10, 2009

Easy Breakfast for Guests



Having company is good.  Having easy guests is better.  Having an easy pre-prepped breakfast to serve them is best. 

I recently had the pleasure of having two friends stay for two nights while in town to see the Deutsche Bank Golf Championship.  As I no longer live within a stone's throw of my standard great breakfast spot, Terry's Place in Southie, I had to come up with a breakfast of my own.  What to do, what to do...Then it hit me, why not do an overnight breakfast casserole?  That way I would not have to scramble (pun intended) around in the kitchen while they are awaiting some sort of breakfast. 

After a brief internet search, I came upon a recipe on the Weight Watchers website for an overnight scrambled egg breakfast.  The recipe is good, though I added some tomatoes to it to give some color and to use the fabulous Jersey tomatoes that one of my guests brought with her.  I liked the recipe, though next time I would add some sort of spice to it to give some extra flavor.  I added some Tabasco sauce (no surprise there) to my serving since I like spicy foods.  The husband added ketchup (no surprise there) to his breakfast.  He also suggested adding some syrup to it to give it some sweetness. I don't think I agree with that suggestion, but feel free to try it and share your comments.

Overnight Scrambled Egg Bake (adapted from WeightWatchers.com)
Printable Recipe
16 oz. fat free egg substitute
12 oz. fat free evaporated milk
6 slices of white bread
6 oz. Canadian Bacon, diced
1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
2 tomatoes sliced thin

  1. Coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Beat eggs well and add milk
  3. Place bread on the bottom of the baking dish.  Toss ham and cheese over bread.  Pour egg mixture over top. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
  4. Bake covered at 350F for 45 minutes.  Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
  5. Cut into 8 portions and serve.
Yield: 8 servings

The recipe went over well with the guests.  My guess is that they would rate the breakfast much higher than the sleeping conditions.  The poor ladies had to sleep on the floor since the guest room is filled with boxes and the bed won't be put together until we get to our house.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin