August 11, 2009

Sometimes it's worth taking a chance

There are certain flavors/ingredients that at first glance, don't seem to make much sense when paired together. Some include chili powder and chocolate, bacon sorbet (I think that combo was on Top Chef), or cumin topped apple crisp. The last reference is related to a mistake I made once upon a time when making apple crisp, I quickly grabbed a spice from the cabinet and quickly seeing the "c", "m", and "n" on the label, I thought it was cinnamon. However, as I quickly found out when taking a first bite it was cumin. And for the record, it doesn't really taste good. At least I can admit failure.

However, I digress from the original stream of thought, which is easy to do when you have been up with insomnia for the past few hours. I was looking at recipes for easy to make sandwiches since the kitchen is in major chaos due the the move to the 'burbs this past weekend. I saw a recipe on epicurious.com posted from Self for turkey roll ups with blueberry salsa. To put this in Jerry Maguire terms, I was had at blueberry salsa. I am a big fan of fruit based salsas and the way that they interact with meats.

I loved how the flavors of the cumin interacted with the blueberries and peppers. It was fantastic! I wouldn't have thought that cumin and blueberries would work well together, perhaps based on my apple crisp mistake circa 2004.

Also, the husband was nervous about this dish with cumin and jalapenos, but did not say that it was too spicy for his liking. This was not another instance of the dry chili rub that was made a few weeks ago.

Chicken Rollups with Blueberry Salsa (adapted from Self August 2009)
Printable Recipe

1/2 cup olive oil mayonnaise
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 pint blueberries
1 peeled and diced kiwi
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 red onion finely chopped
4 leafs of romaine lettuce
4 whole wheat tortillas
4 grilled chicken breasts

  1. Clean and grill chicken. Because our new and hopefully very temporary digs do not allow us to grill, I used my George Foreman.
  2. Stir mayonnaise and cumin in a medium bowl. Add blueberries, kiwi, pepper, and onion. Stir until thoroughly combined.
  3. Spread 1/4 of mayonnaise/fruit mixture on each tortilla. Top with chicken and lettuce leaf.
  4. Wrap up and enjoy!
Yield: 4 servings

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin