December 3, 2009

The First Day of Meteorological Winter

As I write this post on December 3rd, it is 67 degrees Farhenheit...in Boston...in December.  According to the news on Tuesday morning, December 1st is considered the first day of meteorological winter.  In order to usher in the season, I chose to make Black Beans with Rice and Mango.  I figured we could use some tropical flavors in the winter to make it seem less cold out.  For all of you who are loving the weather today, you're welcome.  I will take the credit for the spring like weather as I made a tropical dish the other night for dinner and this must have ushered in some warm weather. 

As you will see (or not see), there is not a picture of this dish.  I recently moved (again) and have yet to unpack the camera and take pictures of food.  I  have been cooking, but haven't photographed anything.  However, this black bean dish was so great I figured I could get away without a picture.  Also, I seemed to have misplaced some focus in the move.  The dish calls for red and green peppers.  When I plan out my menus for the week, I make my grocery list.  How I missed red and green peppers, I don't know.  I used celery to give the dish some crunch and it did a great job. 

With the new move, comes new restaurants.  There is a tapas place within walking distance that I can not wait to check out.  I reviewed the menu today and it looks fabulous.  They also seem to have a great wine list.  Review to follow after I check it out. 

Tropical Black Beans and Rice (adapted from Weight Watchers)
(Printable recipe)

2 tsp olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup lime juice
2 Tbspn cilantro
1 cup chopped celery
1 diced mango (medium)
2 minced garlic cloves
15 oz can black beans
3 cups cooked rice, kept hot

  1. Add oil to medium skillet over medium heat.  Let the skillet get hot, wait for the sizzle.
  2. Add all ingredients except beans and rice.  Cook, stirring occassionally, until celery is crisp tender.
  3. Stir in beans.  Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.  Serve over rice. 
Yield: 4 servings

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin