October 16, 2009

A Stroll Down Memory Lane

There is a saying, "you can never go home again".  I suppose it means that things will never be the same as they were when you left.  In some ways it is true, while in others specifically food related, it is the furthest thing from true.  The great city of New York was my home for five years.  While in NYC, I made so many great friends, got to do some really cool things, and experienced some of the best dining. 

I recently revisited the city with Kakes and Wixon to see Lea.  While Wixon and I were discussing the trip, we made several comments related to food, "We have to get cupcakes, we have to get pizza, etc...".  There are some foods that you can not get anywhere else but in New York.  While you can certainly get pizza and bagels anywhere, they taste better in NYC. 

One of the first stops for food, was to Lou's Cafe in Midtown.  Lou's is likely not listed in any guidebook, however it is a great little spot to grab a quick bite to eat.  It was located halfway in between where Lea and I used to work and we would meet there several times for lunch.  When she and I used to go there I would usually get the chicken soup or the ham and cheese on a croissant.  This time, I opted for the smoked salmon with chive cream cheese on a toasted bagel.  It was delicious.  Wixon got a BLT, while Kakes and Lea each got the salad sampler.  One thing that I love about Lou's, is that you can get great sandwiches that are served with either pasta salad or a mixed green salad.  There are no french fries.  YUM!

For dinner, we chose to go to Rosa Mexicanos in Lincoln Center.  I think that my love for Mexican food has been confirmed several times on this blog.  You can never go wrong with this cuisine.  The restaurant is lively which is great for a girl's night in which we would be anything but quiet.  Of course, we had to start with the guacamole that is made tableside.  Miss Lea had the duck with blackberry sauce, Kakes had the salmon, Wixon had the enchiladas, and I had the steak and shrimp stew.  While I did not taste the entrees that the girls had, they all seemed to enjoy theirs.  Mine was perfect!  The steak was so tender and the sauce that the shrimp and steak were in had the right amount of heat.  I devoured my plate.  A great thing about Rosa Mexicano's is that the portions are just right.  You walk out satisfied, but not too full.  We chose not to get dessert at Rosa's, and chose to go elsewhere.  We were delighted with the small little bites of chocolate that came with our bill. 

We tried something new for dessert and ventured further up the west side to Cafe Lalo.  It was a Wixon discovery when she was exploring options for after dinner.  This crowded cafe reminded me of the cafes in Buenos Aires as they have great desserts and a great drink menu.  Cocktails and desserts are a great way to end the evening.  I sample the apple crumb pie with a glass of Champagne.  The pie was good, but I think mine is better.  Lea's dessert was to die for!  She selected the Oreo cheesecake.  I managed to get a few bites and loved it.  It is so rich and delicious!

Let's fast forward to the following morning and breakfast.  When Wixon first starting to work in the city, she worked in the West Village and encountered a delightful little coffee/breakfast/lunch place that she so kindly introduced me to.  I love the Grey Dog Cafe and their grilled cheeses.  While a grilled cheese may not seem like it is hard to mess up, I appreciate those who concoct a mean grilled cheese.  Alas, we came here for breakfast and I have the Challah bread french toast, with eggs, and potatoes.  It was so very filling which was great that we didn't have to stop for lunch on the way back home. 

It should be of no surprise to my loyal readers that a stop to get cupcakes was the dessert to our trip.  Magnolia Bakery is one of my favorites and the favorite of several other people.  Kakes, Wixon, and I had to get some to bring home to our loved ones.  These cupcakes have the right homemade taste in the cake portion as well as the icing.  I LOVE this place.  During our visit, we somehow managed to beat the crowd and not wait in line.  It was the perfect ending to a great girls' weekend. 

p.s. I had half a cupcake for breakfast the day after I got back.  During birthday week, calories and fat do not count. 

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin