January 1, 2009

Pork and Sauerkraut

According the Pennsylvania Dutch tradition, having pork and sauerkraut on New Year's day is good luck. My grandfather first made this meal for my family one New Year's day and it seems like a sacriledge to not have this meal on the first day of the year. Last year was the first time that I made it for Mike and I. It was good last year, but the pork seemed to be too dry. This year, I decided to use my new favorite kitchen appliance, the slow cooker, to aid in my preparation this year.

1 teaspoon olive oil
3-4 pounds of country style pork ribs
1 thinly sliced large onion
1 teaspoon carraway seeds
3/4 cup water
2 (28 ounce) cans of sauerkraut

  1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium low heat until hot. Add the pork and brown on all sides.
  2. Transfer pork to slow cooker. Drain and discard fat.
  3. Saute onions with carraway seeds in skillet. Add onions to slow cooker.
  4. Pour water into skillet and scrape up any brown bits, add to slow cooker. Add sauerkraut over meat.
  5. Turn on cooker to Low and cook for 6-8 hours.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin